6 Tips For Shopping Safely Online
6 Top Tips For Shopping Safely Online
Who doesn’t love a spot of online shopping? But there are plenty of traps and scams out there so follow these tips from Mastercard to ensure your experience is hassle free. Happy shopping!
1. It’s not difficult to set up a page on the Internet – and there is little in terms of security checks and measures in place. Make sure you do some background research on the retailer you are buying from if they are not a familiar brand name or you have not come across their website before.
2. Guard your privacy and do not disclose personal information unless you know who is collecting it and how it is being used. Some websites sell their customer information to third parties, so check the small print and opt out of sharing your information if you don’t want other people to use it.
3. Use a secure browser as it encrypts the purchase information you send over the Internet, which makes the transaction more secure.
4. Making purchases using a credit or debit card is often safer as liability for an unauthorised charge is limited. As a customer, you do have the responsibility to inform your financial institution if you become aware of or see an unauthorised transaction on your credit card, or if your card is lost and stolen. Policies do vary depending on the credit card issuer, so make sure you read the small print. However, most providers do offer some extra level of protection on purchases.
5. Many financial providers also put an extra level of security on online purchases which protects confidential cardholder data over the Internet and provides Internet security to all parties involved in a transaction. This is usually done by submitting an additional password known only to the cardholder, as with MasterCard SecureCode. It provides enhanced protection against the risk of credit or debit account numbers being accessed by fraudsters in cyber space, taking online security to a whole new level.
6. It goes without saying, but it’s important to keep records of transactions and payments online. Remember to check the payment details before submitting the final payment; check the returns policy and data protection cover. Finally, print out a copy of the transaction, get a copy emailed directly to you, and make sure that the amount matches on your statement at the end of the month.
Have you ever had a bad experience with online shopping?