Almond Milk Latte Recipe
A favourite of the fasting season, which forbids meat and dairy, this creamy almond milk latte is a delicious sample of Ethiopia’s coffee culture.
1 cup of almonds
4 cups of water
1 shot of Ethiopian espresso, freshly ground, tamped and pulled
- Soak: Wash 1 cup of almonds and 2 dried dates, and place them in a clear glass jar with 2 cups of water to soak overnight.
- Puree: Drain the almonds and then add them to a food processor with 11/2 cups of water. Puree the almonds until the mixture is fine and white – about 1 minute.
- Squeeze: Place cheesecloth over a bowl and pour the pureed almond mixture onto the cloth. With clean hands bring the corners of the cheesecloth together and squeeze the almond milk from the mixture.
- Heat: Place 3/4 cup of almond milk in a silver pitcher and steam until it is too hot to handle. Texture the milk by rolling it across the pitcher and tap the pitcher down solidly on a surface before pouring.
- Pour: This is the time to show off your coffee art skills. Pour the steamed almond milk over the shot of Ethiopian espresso. The almond milk will blend smoothly with the espresso cream.
Almond milk will keep for up to one week in the fridge.