How To Apply Lip Stain
Looking for a quick and easy way to make your lips pop without using lipstick? Lip stains are a great way to draw attention to the lips, by using fun colours and finishes which are sure to spice up your usual makeup look. They are also extremely easy to apply and aren’t very daring if you’re worried about being too bold with your daily makeup.
Lip stains generally work in two different ways. Firstly, you could use a lip stain to enhance the natural colour of lips without using too much product. But they can also be used as a base to create a long-lasting makeup look when paired with gloss, which generally doesn’t require much re-application throughout the day or night.
- Before even applying a stain, make sure lips are smooth by exfoliating them. There are many lip-exfoliators out there on the market which work well to remove excess skin from the lips. Another inexpensive way is to take a dry toothbrush and rub it in circular motions over the top and bottom lip. This will lightly exfoliate the area and make it easier to apply a lip stain which will last even longer.
- Using your fingers, simply apply the product softly onto the lips, then pat into the skin. This will allow the product to stay on for longer, and especially moisturise and replenish dry or cracked lips.
- If you’re going for a more glamourous look, you can now apply a thin layer of gloss over the top and bottom lips to accentuate the area. Make sure to also highlight the Cupid ’s bow to complete the look, and draw attention to this area of the face.
Lip stains are fairly easy to apply, since they don’t require a particular technique to achieve a stunning look. Simply choose a colour which matches the rest of your makeup, and compliments your skin tone.
We recommend: Benefit ‘Benetint’ $55
- Lipsticks can also work well as lip stains if you really like a particular colour and can’t find it in another form. Simply dab the colour onto the centre of your lips, then blend it out with a lip brush. This will make the colour look fresh and clean on your face.
- Never apply a lip gloss before the lip stain. This will most likely ruin the entire makeup look, and won’t blend in with your lips very well. Always apply the lip stain first, since this will settle into your lips, then the lip gloss which locks it into place.
- For beginners, use a lip stain which is close to your natural lip colour. Since lip stains aren’t easy to remove, it is best to start off with nude or pinkish hues since they are safe to work with and won’t necessarily stain the lips unlike other bright or darker colours.
- Try and avoid using a lip stain on cracked lips. This will only cause more pain and could lead to tearing and make the entire area sore. Take care of your lips by regularly using a lip cream with a high SPF.
Image via The Huffington Post