Mascara draws attention to your eyes by lifting and highlighting your lashes. While this is the ultimate goal, lacking the services of a professional, many women fall into the trap of the less-attractive clumpy lash. To avoid sticky, clotted lashes, follow these rules for mascara care and application.
- Don’t apply over old mascara.
- Clean your brush regularly – Not only is this hygienic, but it will also remove dry, clumpy bits and allow for smooth application.
- Air is the enemy of mascara. Make sure your bottle is done up tightly to avoid your mascara drying out.
- Don’t pump your brush into the bottle. Instead, swirl it around to get nice, even brush coverage.
- After removing the brush from the bottle, scrape on the side of the bottle to remove excess mascara.
- Apply one coat at a time. Brush on your first coat and leave to dry before doing your next. Use an eyelash comb between coats. to remove clumps.
- To apply, wiggle the brush at the base of the lashes, then sweep up.
- Keep it light. During business hours or for weekend brunch, choose colors that look natural and fresh. The darker and heavier your eye makeup, the smaller your eyes will appear.
- Most professionals would advise you steer clear of the bottom lashes, but if you must, keep it minimal.
- Always remove your mascara before going to bed. It can damage your lashes, or worse, your eyes.
Images via Become Gorgeous