The Bachelor has been around for years, but only recently has the show been based around an Australian bachelor and it’s certainly got people talking. Some love it and some hate it, so which are you? Here are some arguments about why I’m a fan:
- Although some people say that pitting twenty five anxious ladies against one handsome man whilst he has a jolly good time can be degrading, all of these women have chosen to appear on the show – they weren’t forced into it and I think it’s fair to say that they know the dreaded process. Whether they have prepared themselves mentally for that or not is another question.
- According to the creator of the show, he thinks women love The Bachelor because we enjoy seeing other women being rejected or feeling miserable, but I tend to disagree. Yes, okay, there are some women that I don’t shed a tear for when they leave, but in general I enjoy watching them form genuine connections and watching their romance blossom. Who doesn’t love a good romance story?
- Some say that the show prevents us from dealing with our own emotions and distracts us from real life, but doesn’t all television? Personally, I love that hour when I can tune out of my life and into someone else’s for a while, then when it’s over I’m back to reality.
- It has been said that the show gives off a vibe of only the best get picked, but my argument for this is that the show isn’t about winners or losers, it’s about finding the right person for that one man. The women who don’t get picked aren’t ‘losers’, they were simply not suited to the bachelor.
- I have to admit that there is one awful point about the show and it’s the way that the women treat each other. It really does turn love into a competitive sport and some women will stop at nothing to get what they want. Watching grown women fight about a man’s affections isn’t particularly flattering and it’s almost embarrassing at times, but would you do it in the hope of falling in love with the man of your dreams?
Right now, I’m trying to pen my first romance novel, so I love a happy ending and I suppose that’s why I love the show so much. I’m hoping for that classic fairy tale ending, but whether that will happen or not, only time will tell.
Image via images.tenplay.com.au