Since we are at the end of Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Australia, what better time to bring you the hottest looks straight off the runway?
RELATED: 3 Office-Friendly Hairstyles For Long Hair
Starting with hair and then onto makeup, below are just some of the techniques and products you need to recreate signature show looks from Aje, GALANNI, Macgraw, Steven Khalil, Jennifer Kate, and Manning Cartell together with Goldwell.
Australian womenswear label Aje, brought their SS15/16 collection, Vihara to life with the help of Goldwell. Try this hairstyle for yourself with our exclusive step-by-step guide below.
- Create a natural centre part with your fingers, apply StyleSign Power Whip evenly throughout the hair and blast 90 per cent dry maintaining the part. Direct front hairline toward the face when drying.
- Part the hair horizontally, mid-way behind the ear in a curve shape and follow through to the nape of the neck, leaving approximately 2cms free around the hairline.
- Take this bottom section and tie into a secure ponytail at the occipital bone. Lightly backcomb the mid-lengths and ends of the pony, wrap into a bun and secure to the base of the nape. This will serve as a volumising filler later in the style.
- Use bobby pins to attach the coloured weft around the bun and secure tightly.
- Dry remaining hair with a medium sized round brush paying attention to the ends, as well as the root direction around the face. Root lift should be natural, with some body through mid-lengths and ends. Be sure to blow-dry a natural movement into the hair to assist tonging.
- Using a 3cm curling tong, heat sections in a random shaped but consistently dense pattern, directing hair away from the face. Allow to cool and then run a wide tooth comb through to break up the style, then add StyleSign Naturally Full and gently backcomb for extra volume and lift.
- Loosely pull hair back at the chin and secure with a loose tie, there will need to be a moderate amount of give in the elastic to enable altering of the shape and texture of the style.
- Delicately pull loose hair above the ears and letting those natural, shorter hairs around the face fall away from the bulk of the hair to create a slightly ‘undone’ finish
- Lightly spray with StyleSign Magic Finish to hold the style.
- Take an 18 inch weft and carefully distort the middle part to prepare for balayage.
- Using Goldwell Colorance, have the darkest colour ready to do first and apply the colour evenly and precisely paying attention to create a natural looking meld line.
- Once the colour has developed, rinse with Dualsenses Color Fade Stop Shampoo and towel dry.
- Prepare the lighter colour, apply to the weft where needed and then process again
- When ready, remove the colour product and shampoo and condition using Dualsenses Color Fade Stop Shampoo and Dualsenses Color Detangling Conditioner.
- Dry the weft to 70 per cent and apply StyleSign Power Whip mousse to give the weft some hold and blow-dry in.
Mother/daughter design team Lenna and Catherine Vasilas of couture label GALANNI went for a sultry look to accompany their SS15/16 collection.
Hair Director Ida Tirimacco took the lady-like glamour from the GALANNI collection and workshopped a sophisticated and elegant hair look for the show.
“With the structured components of the gown, we decided to go for a softer, sexier and more fresh hair look to in the hair. We wanted to maintain the femininity and glamour of the range, but have some movement in the hair.”
To achieve the GALANNI hair look, follow Ida Tirimacco’s step-by-step instructions below:
- Apply StyleSign Double Boost root spray to the roots of the hair and section a parting up straight from the corner of the eye from right to left, back to crown.
- Take inch squared sections Spray each section with StyleSign Hot Form styling lotion and spray a little StyleSign Unlimitor onto the ends only to help thicken.
- Use a conical iron on each section and pin to hold, continue this process all the way around the head, alternating the direction of each row. When working the top section, take each part on a diagonal forward and pin half on and half off base as the roots will need to be looser here.
- Spray StyleSign Big Finish all over to set the curls and let cool.
- Once hair has completely cooled, start un-pinning and allow hair to fall and relax. Run a couple of drops of StyleSign Melting Diamonds through the ends before brushing section by section with a Mason Pearson brush.
- Spray StyleSign Satin Guard as you brush to keep the hair fro separating too much and reducing any natural frizz in the hair
- Part the hair as low as possible to give an edgier look, without too much height on top of the head, this will allow the soft curls and movement to really make a statement.
- Finish with a spray of StyleSign Magic Finish to add a glossy finish and set the style.
Featuring his couture collection for the very first time at MBFWA, Steven Khalil showcased his fine attention to detail through outstanding blouses, pencil skirts and breathtaking gowns.
Hair Director Sharon Blain took a nod from Steven’s chic couture styling by creating an intricate style which had a classic simplicity to it:
‘The idea for this hair look evolved from looking at the gowns, the fabrics, their textures and also the embellishments. We wanted a design to complement the collection but not to overpower.’
To achieve the Steven Khalil hair look, follow Sharon Blain’s step-by-step instructions below:
- Spray the hair with StyleSign Hot Form styling lotion and directionally blow dry the hair with a paddle brush from a centre pony tail, towards the nape to create a smooth finish.
- Make a parting in line with the top of the ear from ear to ear, dividing the hair into two sections. Run StyleSign Diamond Glossthrough the hair for a high shine finish.
- Work a three strand scalp braid in a 5cm panel down the centre of the forehead down to the back at the nape. Secure with a small band to hold. This can be lightly roughed for texture, but the braid should be tight.
- Direct the sides softly back on both sides and secure at the nape. A light back combing on the sides with finer hair will help give body.
- Divide the pony in two sections and work a three-strand braid to the end, band to hold.
- Make a loop out to the sides and secure the ends at centre to hold.
- Repeat on other side, pin well and spray with StyleSign Magic Finish to hold.
Recently celebrating their 10th anniversary, Manning Cartell showcased their newest SS15/16 collection, Introduced Light. A collection of light, reflection and contrast pulsated with a dynamic synergy of colour and print and a strong hint of glamour.
The hair was all about volume, texture and even a hint of an athletic streak which is right on trend this season.
Hair Director Dale Delaporte took inspiration from the patterns and textures of the fabric when working the 70’s references into the hair look. Recreate this style at home with the following key products and techniques.
To achieve the Manning Cartell hair look, follow Dale Delaporte of Prema salon’s step-by-step instructions below:
- Take a deep, diagonal side part finishing at the outer corner of the left brow. Without losing parting, section from ear to ear intercepting the crown and clip front away
- Apply StyleSign Power Whip evenly throughout back area until the hair is saturated, then blow dry in sections with plenty of root lift.
- Using a small hot tong, create movement in the back by winding generous sized sections of hair around the tong, so as to not create curl. This step is for creating movement to be manipulated later.
- Take a two-inch section on the occipital bone from ear to ear, leaving one inch around hairline for coverage. Scalp braid this section and then double over braid and pin into a spiral reaching to either end. Add padding to the area surrounding and pin firmly to the braid.
- Saturate front left section with StyleSign Glamour Whip and dry, while stretching the hair upwards towards the crown, then spray lightly withStyleSign Magic Finish and hold in place with crease free clip to set.
- Move to right side and apply StyleSign Glamour Whip until saturated. Take the bottom two inches and dry, stretching directly back with zero volume.
- Take the front inch of free hair and dry with zero root lift forward over face. Over direct hair closer to parting just slightly to the left to give extra swing in the fringe.
- Repeat with remaining sections, progressively directing hair more diagonally forward as you get to less and less hair left over. This will ensure there are no holes.
- Apply a small amount of StyleSign Roughman to the very top layer of the fringe area to maintain a solid, and smooth surface. Then, using a very fine bristle brush, shape the fringe to sit forward and skimming the bridge of the nose to then cover the right eye. Occasionally mist with StyleSign Magic Finish over the top to help grip the brush and keep the desired shape.
- Continue shaping until the fringe covers the eye and curves to tuck behind the ear. Secure fringe section to behind the ear with a small pin, leaving hair above for hiding the pin under.
- Lightly brush out the rest of the hair, being sure not to lose any volume, then collect the hair in the bottom section of hair, and following the direction of the hair, loosely tie off with a small elastic to remove bulk and allow easy styling finish.
- While spraying the hair with StyleSign Naturally Full loosen up and create the desired shape in the back. Being sure to accentuate where that padding was place earlier.
- Use a small amount of StyleSign Roughman and rake through the left side in front of the ear, keeping that upward motion and spray withStyleSign Sprayer to secure.
- Remove any clips still in the hair, and use more StyleSign Sprayer through the fringe area to keep shape and create a glossy sheen.
- Spray StyleSign Magic Finish through the back are of the hair to keep texture in place, and make the most of that volume.
This year, Goldwell continued their partnership with fashion design duo Macgraw, to create a look which brings life to the SS2015 collection, Shepherdess.
To achieve the Macgraw hair look, follow Goldwell hair director, Benni Tognini’s step-by-step instructions below:
- Start by blow drying the hair into a full, voluminous style with a centre part, using StyleSign Double Boost at the roots and working StyleSign Naturally Full through the ends of the hair
- Spray the sides of the hair with StyleSign Hot Form spray and wind each section into knots. Run hot irons over the knots and then brush out
- Back comb the back of the hair to add some volume to the roots and create the slightly messy texture, spritz with StyleSign Magic Finish to hold the body
- Draping the hair over the ears, pull the sections together and secure into a low pony tail at the nape of the neck.
- Backcomb the pony tail once secured and mist StyleSign Sprayer to set the style. Add ribbon to finish the look.
With a clean aesthetic for her debut at MBFWA, Jennifer Kate paired her must-have leather and suede pieces with a modern take on the traditional braided ponytail.
Hair Director Marie Cain worked to create a look which would allow each model to still look individual, through a statement hair look made with clean lines in the structure, but still had an element of softness.
To achieve the Jennifer Kate hair look, follow Marie Cain’s step-by-step instructions below:
- On thick hair apply a generous amount of StyleSign Hot Form styling lotion, to dry hair from roots to ends. On fine hair apply a generous amount of StyleSign Double Boost root lift spray from roots to ends
- Directionally blow-dry the hair into either a side or middle part (depending on which finish you prefer) and blast dry hair, then mist the same product lightly back through and texture blowdry with a small round brush or very lightly tong with a medium wand, this is to create the right amount of texture to do the remainder steps.
- Generously spray hair throughout with Dualsenses Ultra Volume Dry Shampoo, this will help to catch the flyways and build a chalky texture
- Take a section of hair, approximately 4cm wide, that starts in at the top of the crown, and section straight down to the nape. Keep the section very clean and tightly braid down and tie off tightly and neatly at the bottom of the nape.
Take one hand in ponytail position at the bottom of the neck, with your free hand feed the hair into the stationary hand, the detailing of this part is very important as this will allow for hair to be fly-away and soft. Tie hair into ponytail with clear hair tie, secure it a little closer to the nape and then drag down once fastened.
- Take another tie, place around the first tie once, then half loop through, allow for flyaway and long pieces to fall out, take a very thin piece of hair to wrap around and cover the hair tie, fasten only with a spritz of StyleSign Sprayer to hold.
- Finish the look by tucking hair behind the ear, pulling pieces of hair out and exaggerating the softness of the look. Spray with StyleSign Big Finish to secure the look, but keeping the soft finish.
What’s your favourite style from MBFWA?