Who doesn’t love a Black Forest cake? These delightful chocolate and cherry cupcakes are topped with a sweet vanilla icing and make the perfect afternoon tea treat.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 40 minutes
125g butter or margarine
1/2 cup caster/raw sugar
1/2 cup plain yoghurt
2 cups self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup dark cocoa, sifted
1/2 cup milk
200g pitted cherries, halved
Icing and decoration
1 cup icing sugar mixture
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
1 tablespoon milk
12 whole cherries with stem on
1. Preheat oven to 180?C and place 12 cupcake wrappers in a muffin tin.
2. Place butter and sugar in a bowl and beat together until creamy. Add eggs and beat well until incorporated.
3. Stir in yoghurt and then gently fold in flour, baking powder, cocoa, cherries and milk until combined.
4. Spoon mixture into prepared muffin tins and bake for 40 minutes or until cooked. Remove from the muffin tin and allow to cool.
5. Make the icing by combining the butter, sugar and vanilla paste. Add milk as required to achieve a rich, creamy, spreadable consistency.
6. Sift the icing sugar over each cupcake and top with a cherry.
What’s your favourite cupcake flavour?