Carob vs Chocolate
December 1, 2000
Ever wondered why anyone would bother eating something that tasted like sawdust over the real thing? Here’s why
- Carob has a few less kilojoules and as much as 5% protein, however it is not a low fat food.
- Carob is a whole food and contains B vitamins, calcium, magnesium, potassium and iron in significant amounts.
- Carob contains no caffeine or theobromine which can stimulate the central nervous system. Both are present in chocolate and can cause headaches, depression and irritability.
- Carob contains no oxalic acid which aids in blocking the absorption of calcium.
- Despite all that, we say: life is short, why not enjoy chocolate in moderation.