Carrot, Date and Pistachio Cake Recipe
This fabulous dessert has been developed by the head chef, Michael Robinson, at Margan Restaurant. Margan is an award winning restaurant in Broke Fordwich, a region of the Hunter Valley, and has recently been named as one of the top 10 Regional NSW restaurants by Gourmet Traveller Restaurant Guide 2014.
125 g self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
½ teaspoon of mixed spice
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2/3 cup light olive oil
2 free range eggs
2 cups grated carrot
1/2 cup chopped dates
½ cup chopped pistachio nuts
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line an 18cm spring form bake tin with Gladbake (or similar).
- Sift flour, spices and sugar together.
- Lightly beat oil and eggs together and add to flour.
- Beat with an electric beater for about a minute until smooth.
- Fold in dates, nuts and carrots.
- Pour into tin and bake for an hour. Cool.
In the Margan Restaurant, it is served with fried carrot ribbons (shredded carrot – do this with a peeler – deep fried in clean oil, drained and cooled); vanilla creme anglaise and praline pistachios (toffee coated pistachios). Or a simple dusting of icing sugar works well.
Recipe by Head Chef Michael Robinson of Margan Restaurant based in the beautiful Broke Fordwich wine sub-region of the Hunter Valley. Known as ‘the tranquil side of the Hunter Valley’, the region offers an authentic, rustic and stunningly picturesque destination for travellers wanting a relaxed getaway. For more information visit brokefordwich.com.au.