With temperatures soaring this weekend, what better way to cool off than with ice cream? This recipe uses good-quality store-bought ice cream mixed with a homemade cherry pie swirl – yum!
Ingredients – makes 1.5L
1L good-quality vanilla ice cream
150g ready-to-eat sweet shortcrust pastry base
2 cups (400g) cherries, pitted
2 tsp lemon juice
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp almond extract
¼ cup icing sugar mixture
1 tsp cornflour
1. Place cherries, lemon juice, almond extract, cinnamon and icing sugar mixture in a bowl and leave to macerate for 20 minutes.
2. Transfer cherry mixture to a saucepan over medium-low heat and cook for 6 minutes until syrup thickens and cherries have softened.
4. Transfer mixture to the pastry case and set aside to cool completely.
5. Place ice cream in a food processor and pulse until smooth, then transfer mixture to 1.5L container.
6. Crumble cherry pie in large pieces into container and gently stir through. Place in freezer until firm.
have you ever made ice cream at home?