Baking For The Health Elitist In You: Chia And Banana Slice
Sugar and gluten-free goodness with just enough superfood prowess to impress your friends.
Say goodbye to those unhealthy snacking habits with this chia and banana slice recipe. Provided by Carolyn Hartz’s from her forthcoming book Sugar Free Baking, this slice contains zero sugar, zero nasties and will leaving you feeling positively virtuous.
Butter or oil, to grease
200g almond meal
30g flaxseed meal
30g chia seeds
1 tsp bicarb soda
½ teaspoon salt
60ml coconut oil, melted
30g Perfect Sweet xylitol
2 extra-large eggs
250g ripe mashed bananas (approx 2 large bananas)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
125ml coconut milk
Powdered xylitol for dusting
- Preheat oven to 150˚C/130˚C fan-forced. Brush an 18cm x 28cm slice tray with butter or oil to grease. Line with baking paper.
- Mix the almond meal, arrowroot, flaxseed meal, chia seeds, bicarb soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Use an electric beater to beat the coconut oil and xylitol in a separate bowl. Add the eggs and beat well on high speed. Add the mashed banana, vanilla and coconut milk and beat together on medium speed until combined.
- Add to the almond mixture and whisk on medium speed to form a batter.
- Pour the batter into the lined slice tray and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool and cut into 18 slices.
- Before serving dust with ground Perfect Sweet xylitol.