Just because the salad season has nearly passed, doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy an Autumn variation! Zoe Bingley-Pullin’s chicken quinoa salad recipe is the perfect solution to those post-summer blues, and is packed full of vegetables to ensure you meet those daily nutritional requirements.
1 cup tri-colour quinoa
2 cups water
1/4 tsp salt
175g green beans
1 bunch asparagus
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley leaves
Zest and juice of orange
1 tsp runny honey
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 x 3 pack chicken breasts
1 tbsp olive oil
- Bring a full kettle to the boil.
- Combine quinoa, water and salt in a small pot. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let steam, still covered, for a further 5 minutes. Drain any remaining liquid and set aside to cool slightly.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the vinaigrette. Combine parsley, orange zest and juice, honey, olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl. Mix well, season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and slice into steaks. To do this, place your hand flat on top of the chicken breast and use a knife to slice through the middle horizontally to make 2 thin steaks. Heat oil in a large fry-pan on medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and fry in batches until cooked through, 2-3 minutes each side. Set aside to rest for a few minutes, then slice.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the remaining salad ingredients. Trim green beans and halve lengthways; trim asparagus ends and cut into 4cm pieces; cut capsicum into thin strips. Set capsicum aside. Place beans and asparagus into a small bowl, cover with boiling water, leave for 1-2 minutes, drain and refresh in cold water.
- Toss all quinoa salad ingredients with chicken and vinaigrette in a large bowl.
- Divide salad between plates and serve.
Recipe courtesy of My Food Bag