Christmas chicken with cranberry stuffing
Serves: 8 – 12
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
130g Sunbeam Whole Almonds, chopped
1 cup Angas Park Cranberries
2kg chicken, boned with wings remaining
2 tbs butter
5 spring onions, sliced
4 rashers bacon, diced
400g chicken mince
1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
¼ cup chopped parsley
Juice and grated rind of one lemon
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Metal or bamboo skewers
¼ cup plain flour
2 cups chicken stock
Preheat oven to 180C.
1. Place chicken skin side down on a flat surface.
2. In a small frying pan melt butter, add spring onions and bacon and cook for 5 minutes. Place in a large bowl along with chicken mince, breadcrumbs, cranberries, almonds, parsley, lemon and season with salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
3. Arrange stuffing down the middle of the chicken and roll each side of the chicken into the centre to encase the stuffing, secure the chicken with small skewers and tuck wings underneath the body.
4. Place chicken on a greased baking dish, brush with melted butter and season with sea salt and black pepper. Bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven, cover with foil and allow too rest for 10 minutes. Serve cut into thick slices with a splash of chicken gravy.
5. To make gravy, add the plain flour to the baking dish and cook over a medium heat for one minute stirring constantly. Gradually pour in stock and cook stirring continuously until gravy thickens and comes to the boil. Cook for 2 minutes, strain and serve with roast chicken.
Recipe courtesy of Sunbeam
Foods 2009 40 page online Christmas Recipe Book, visit www.sunbeamfoods.com.au