Christmas Recipe Ideas: Chocolate Roulade With Peppermint Crunch Cream
This impressive Christmas dessert tastes just like a peppermint crisp – the perfect thing to serve with eggnog!
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup self raising flour
2 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp hot water
Extra 1/4 cup caster sugar
300 ml thickened cream
1 tsp Queen Natural Peppermint Extract
Queen Green Food Colouring
2 x 35g peppermint crisp bars, finely chopped
Small mint leaves, to decorate (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line a Swiss roll 32cm x 26cm tin with baking paper.
2. Sift flour and cocoa onto a sheet of baking paper. Using an electric beater, beat eggs, egg yolk and sugar for 10 minutes or until thick and creamy. Add flours and cocoa. Gently fold into egg mixture. Add water and gently stir into mixture. Do not stir too heavily as this will deflate sponge mixture.
3. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 12 minutes or until sponge springs back when lightly touched.
4. Lay a clean tea towel onto a flat surface. Top with a sheet of baking paper. Sprinkle extra sugar onto baking paper. Turn sponge onto caster sugar.
5. Gently peel baking paper from sponge. Roll sponge from long side to long side, using tea towel as a guide. Put onto a wire rack and cool.
6. Using an electric hand beater, beat cream until soft peaks form. Add peppermint essence and green food colouring, 1 drop at a time until desired colour.
7. Unroll cold sponge. Spread 2/3 cream onto cake. Top with half the chopped peppermint crisp. Roll sponge from long edge to long edge and place onto a serving platter.
8. Put into a small pipping bag. Pipe cream down the centre of roulade. Sprinkle with remaining peppermint crisp and decorate with small mint leaves. Serve.
What’s your Christmas dessert this year?