?Who can resist piping-hot donuts drizzled with silky chocolate olive oil sauce and served with berries? Bring out a plate of these and watch them disappear!
Ingredients – serves 6
3 tbs. caster sugar
1 vanilla bean, seeds removed
250g plain flour, sifted
½ sachet of dried yeast (3.5g)
Zest of ½ an orange
¾ cup sugar
1 tbs. cinnamon
Light olive oil from Spain, for deep-frying
Chocolate olive oil sauce
200ml Spanish extra virgin olive oil
300g good quality dark cooking chocolate
400ml pouring cream
1 punnet of berries (any of your choice)
1. For the chocolate olive oil sauce, gently melt the chocolate over a double boiler. Once the chocolate has melted remove from the heat and slowly pour in the extra virgin olive oil from Spain. Continue mixing until it is well combined.
2. Whip the cream to just under soft peaks and then add to the melted chocolate and olive oil mixture. Very gently fold in until combined.
3. For the donuts, lightly whisk eggs, caster sugar and vanilla bean in a large bowl. Add the milk and combine. Now add the flour, yeast and orange zest and stir until well combined. Rest batter for 15 minutes.
4. Heat oil in a saucepan or deep fryer until it reaches approximately 180C.
Spoon the donut mixture into a piping bag. Carefully pipe small dollops of mixture into the oil and fry for a few minutes until golden brown all over.
5. Drain donuts on absorbent paper and then toss the donuts in the combined sugar and cinnamon mixture while they are still hot.
6. To serve, spoon the chocolate in the centre of the plate. Top with a few donuts per person and scatter with berries.
What are you cooking this weekend?