Classic Montanara Pizza Recipe
Indulge in a delicious pizza this weekend which is super simple to whip-up, and will even please the pickiest of eaters.
The traditional Italian recipe features canned tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and a hint of basil for an authentic taste. Create your own dough, or use a frozen variety from the supermarket if you’re strapped for time.
Canned San Marzano tomatoes
Fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup fresh mozzarella
1/2 cup grana padano
Pinch of salt
- Strain the canned tomatoes and concentrate them on the inside of your pizza. If you don’t like a thick consistency, use just half of the can.
- Place the fresh mozzarella into the centre and follow with the grana padano. Using two cheeses gives it a unique taste (if you’re watching your weight, stick to just one).
- Throw on a few basil leaves for that fresh flavour and a pinch of salt over the top.
- While the traditional recipe is then fried, we recommend baking it in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- This type of pizza is beautiful when paired with a sangiovese since it corresponds with the tomatoes.
Image via Serious Eats