Corn Fritters with Roasted Truss Tomatoes and Crispy Prosciutto
These delicious corn fritters make the perfect mid-week dinner, topped with roasted tomatoes and your favourite crispy ham!
Serves 4 (makes 16-20 fritters)
• 4 truss tomatoes, halved
• 1 small garlic clove, crushed
• 4-5 tbsp olive oil
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 185g (3/4 cup) good quality mayonnaise
• 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
• 8 thin slices prosciutto or bacon
• 2 corn cobs (or 420g can corn kernels, drained)
• 220g (2 cups) self-raising flour
• 1 tsp sugar
• 1 egg
• 375ml (1 1/2 cups) buttermilk
• Preheat oven to 140°C. Arrange the tomatoes in a single layer on a baking tray.
Brush with oil and season with salt and pepper.
• Roast for 1 hour 20 minutes until softened, but still just holding their shape.
Combine the mayonnaise with the garlic and lemon juice and season with salt
and pepper. Refrigerate.
• Meanwhile, make the fritters. Slice the kernels off the corn cobs. Combine the
flour and sugar in a large bowl. Whisk the egg and buttermilk together in a jug,
pour onto the flour and whisk until smooth. Stir in the corn and season well with
salt and pepper.
• Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Spoon the mixture
one tbsp at a time into the pan and cook for about 2 minutes on one side.
• Turn over and cook until golden. Keep warm while you cook the rest, adding
more oil as required.
• In a separate frying pan, fry the prosciutto in 1 tbsp of oil until crispy.
• Serve the fritters accompanied by the roasted tomatoes, prosciutto and garlic
What’s your favourite breakfast?