Who doesn’t love fritters, seriously? Besides being oh so tasty, they’re actually relatively healthy incorporating eggs as a source of protein and, of course, corn and zucchini as the ultimate vegie hit. If you’re looking to ramp up the taste even more, serve with lashings of tomato relish and a side of avocado. Also, if you’re a bit rusty when it comes to poaching eggs, click on the tutorial link below!
1 medium zucchini, coarsely shredded
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cobs corn, kernels cut off
1/3 cup yellow polenta
1/2 cup whole meal flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 large eggs, beaten
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 jar tomato relish
A handful baby rocket leaves
- For the fritters, mix the grated zucchini with salt in a bowl. Let stand for 15 minutes then rinse.
- Wrap zucchini in clean porous kitchen cloth, to squeeze out excess liquid.
- Heat oil in a fry pan, add onion and garlic, cook gently until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the corn and cook for a further 4 minutes.
- In a large bowl place polenta, flour, salt, baking powder and cheese. Mix well.
- Add cooked vegetables, egg and yogurt to the bowl, mix well.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick fry pan over a medium heat.
- Measure 1/3 cup of the mix into the pan. Cook until fritters are golden, three minutes on each side. Drain on paper towel.
- To poach eggs, fill a shallow pan with hot water and two tablespoons of white vinegar. Bring to the boil, and then reduce to a simmer.
- Crack the egg into a little bowl first, and then when water is barely at a simmer, slide the eggs into the saucepan. Repeat for remaining eggs.
- Turn off the heat and cover the pan. Set a timer for 6 minutes.
- After 6 minutes remove eggs with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel to drain excess water.
- To serve, place poached eggs onto zucchini fritters along with rocket leaves and tomato relish.
Learn how to poach the perfect egg here.
Recipe courtesy of Australian Eggs
Paige is a writer and actress who looks great in hats, loves Game Of Thrones and is always up-to-date on the latest and greatest news. Follow Paige on Twitter.