- Hairdryer with nozzle to direct the airflow.
- A large round real bristle brush.
- A large paddle brush for final smoothing.
- A selection of clips to keep unwanted hair out of the way (large flat professional hairdressing clips work best).
- Gloss or oil to smooth over your hair and remove any unwanted frizzes to finish with.
If you haven’t got the time to do it by hand then purchase The Sunbeam Salon Finish Professional Hair Straightener. It only takes a few minutes to make your hair look straight and lustrous. Available from department stores and electrical retailers for $99.95.
How to do it:
- Shampoo and condition.
- Detangle your hair using a wide toothed comb and then rough dry using your hands until your hair is around 80 percent dry. You have to remember that your hair doesn’t take any shape until it is at least 80 percent dry.
- Starting with the hair in the nape, section off a 5cm deep piece of hair. If this section is wider than the brush, separate it into handleable amounts.
- Use your brush to remove any tangles that have formed in the section of hair. Draw your brush over the surface of the section from roots to ends, directing the hair down towards your shoulders and keeping tension in the hair. Wind your hair around the brush back towards the scalp. Use your other hand to smooth your hair as you wind.
- Now unwind the brush to reveal a length of hair to be dried. What you should have is the all-important tension that will get your hair really straight. You should still be directing your hair towards your shoulders.
- Pick up your hairdryer and direct the flow of air along the hair under tension. This flow of air must be from the scalp towards the brush but not on the brush. You are really drying the hair that is pulled straight between the scalp and brush, using the brush as a griping tool rather than a brush.
- If you start to get fly-away or frizzy bits, move the hair dryer and use the air flow to hold them down. At all times keep the end of the hair-dryer about 3-5cm from the hair, it is easy to burn the hair if you don’t.
- Check that your hair is fully dry and move onto the next section without disturbing the one you just finished until it is fully cool. Repeat 1-7 steps until all your hair is dry.