Everything’s better with an egg on it! This creamy mushroom soup flavoured with thyme and chives is the perfect midweek meal or indulgent dinner for one.
Serves 4. Preparation time: 10 minutes, cooking time: 20 minutes
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp butter
1 onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, sliced
600g mushrooms, roughly chopped
½ cup dry white wine
2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
3 cups salt reduced chicken stock, plus one cup water
6 sprigs fresh thyme, stalks removed
1 cup evaporated milk
½ bunch chives, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat saucepan and add olive oil, sweat the onions and garlic until translucent. Add mushrooms and thyme; gently cook while stirring occasionally for 2 -3 minutes. Add the wine and continue to simmer until liquid has reduced by half, then add chicken stock, water and potatoes. Simmer for 20 minutes or until mushrooms and potatoes are fully cooked.
2. With a hand blender, blend to a smooth consistency and add evaporated milk. Check seasoning.
3. For the poached eggs, bring a pot of water and vinegar to the boil, reduce heat to a simmer.
4. Crack each egg into a small bowl. Slowly lower the eggs into the water and cook for 2-3 minutes or to your liking. Remove eggs from water and place onto kitchen paper.
5. Ladle soup into bowls and place one egg into each soup bowl.
6. Garnish with chopped chives. Serve with crusty wholegrain bread.
What’s your favourite soup recipe?