If you’re looking for an excuse to throw a dinner party, this Creme Fraiche Panna Cotta recipe is the perfect summer dessert to enjoy with friends. Topped with orange compote and candied pistachio, it’s relatively light so it won’t weigh you down if you’re pairing it with a glass of bubbles.
400ml thickened cream
200g castor sugar
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
400ml creme fraiche
80ml freshly squeezed orange juice
5 sheets gelatin (10 gram total),
softened in cold water
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp castor sugar
2 drops orange blossom water
¼ cup shelled pistachio
2 tbsp castor sugar
2 tbsp water
- For the panna cotta, bring the cream, sugar and vanilla bean to the boil. Remove from heat and slightly cool. Add orange juice.
- Squeeze moisture from gelatin and add to cream mix.
- Stir in creme fraiche to combine then pour into 4 jars and chill for 2 hours or until set (overnight is best).
- For the orange compote, use a microplane to remove the zest from the oranges. Peel using a small knife and cut the flesh into small dice, removing any seeds.
- Place into a small saucepan with honey, zest, sugar and orange blossom. Simmer until slightly thickened then cool.
- For the candied pistachio, preheat oven to 160 degrees.
- Dissolve the sugar in the water, add pistachio and salt.
- Spread onto an oven tray lined with baking paper and roast for 8 mins, or until crisp. Set aside to cool.
- Top the set panna cotta with compote, sprinkle with pistachio and enjoy!