Too good to say no.
Who doesn’t love a good pav? It’s deliciously sweet and crispy, gluten free and guaranteed to please anyone who walks through your door. For hosts who are super organized, half of this dish can be prepared the day before, so there’s one less job for when you’re entertaining all the hungry guests.
And with generous helpings of chocolate and macadamias included, this dessert is as good as it gets…
- 16 cups of egg whites
- 1 1/3 cup of raw caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of macadamias, roasted, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup of macadamia meal
- 1/4 cup of cacao powder, sifted
- 2 1/2 cups of cream
- 1 teaspoon of caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon of Drambuie
- 2 punnets each of blueberries and raspberries
- 1/4 cup of honey roasted macadamias
- Icing sugar, to dust
1. Preheat oven to 215°F/100°C fan-forced. Lightly grease and line four oven trays with non-stick baking paper. Using a medium round cake pan as a guide, trace circles onto each tray.
2. Fill a medium saucepan one quarter full with water. Bring to boil over a medium heat, then reduce to a simmer.
3. To make the meringue, combine the egg whites and raw caster sugar in a heatproof bowl and place over the saucepan, being careful not to let the bowl touch the water. Whisk constantly for about five minutes or until the sugar dissolves and the whites are warm to touch. Test the meringue by rubbing between the fingers – if it feels grainy keep whisking over the saucepan until smooth.
4. Once the mix has reached the desired texture, transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk, initially on low speed but gradually increasing to high until stiff and glossy peaks form, this should take about 10 minutes.
5. Fold through one teaspoon of vanilla extract, the macadamias, meal and cacao, until well combined.
6. Divide the meringue evenly between the circles of the four prepared oven trays. Bake for one hour, then turn the oven off but leave the meringue discs in the oven for another hour so they’re dry and crisp. Remove from the oven and cool completely. Store in an airtight container until needed.
7. Combine the cream, caster sugar and remaining vanilla in a large bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form. Then fold through the Drambuie.
8. Place a meringue disc on a serving plate and spread a quarter of the cream mixture and a quarter of the berries on top. Repeat with the remaining meringue discs and cream. Scatter the top disc with honey roasted macadamias and a dusting of icing sugar. Serve immediately.
Image and recipes courtesy of Australian Macadamias