Delicious Croque-Monsieur Recipe
More than just your typical ham and cheese toastie, a croque-monsieur is a delicious snack perfect for breakfast, lunch, or even dinner. Originating as a quick snack in French cafés and restaurants, there are also many variations which include tomato, smoked salmon (instead of ham), sliced potatoes, the list goes on!
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup Grana Parma
Salt and pepper
2 slices French crusty bread
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 slices smoked ham
3 slices Belgioioso Provolone Cheese
- Start by melting one tablespoon of butter into a small pan. In another bowl, add the flour and whisk for 2 minutes or until it begins to slightly foam.
- Add the milk and Grana Parma to the mixture, and keep whisking until it’s smooth and lump-free. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread one side of the bread with Dijon mustard, one layer of ham, and two slices of provolone. In the meantime, melt the other tablespoon of butter and preheat your broiler.
- Rest the bread into the melted butter and toast for 1 minute. The provolone should be sitting at the top of the bread – toast for an additional minute so the cheese can melt.
- Now place the bread over the ham and cheese, and top off with the remaining provolone. The bread should be toasty and golden brown by this point, so you can add some of the béchamel sauce over the top of the sandwich. Sprinkle with Grana Parmesan.
Image and Recipe via Foodness Gracious