A Dentist’s Top Tips For Healthy Teeth
Many of us resolved to make better habits for a happier and healthier version of ourselves in the New Year. However, our busy lives often mean our good intentions may slip to the wayside. Now that the year is well underway, what better place to keep your resolutions in check than with your smile? Oral-B expert and dentist Dr. Christopher Ho shares his tips to keep your teeth in top condition:
- Water is your friend: Drinking more water reduces the acid that causes tooth decay and helps keep the mouth clean. When we are dehydrated there is less saliva to neutralise acids which can lead to tooth erosion. Opt for tap water whenever you can for the added benefit of fluoride.
- Keep sticky sweets that cling to teeth to a minimum: Your mouth needs time for the saliva to neutralise the effects of sugary foods and help plaque prevention. So if you are going to eat sweet treats, try to avoid frequent snacking – one acid attack is less damaging than frequent attacks.
- Limit your intake of acidic drinks like soft drinks, sports drinks and fruit juices: These are not only high in sugar but contain acids that dissolve the minerals in tooth enamel, causing holes or erosion. If you are going to have a sugary drink, one of the best ways to minimise the damage to the teeth is to use a straw.
- Excessive brushing, or brushing with bristles that are too hard can lead to gum recession and wear down tooth enamel. This can result in your teeth looking slightly discoloured – not whiter. Opting for a toothbrush with a pressure sensor and built in timer is the perfect tool to help prevent excessive brushing. The new Oral-B BLACK power toothbrush is engineered to perform like no other, and has a brush head and handle that are embedded with microchips that communicate with a wireless SmartGuide. This helps guide you to each quadrant of the mouth and signal when you are brushing too hard ensuring you look after your teeth in an optimal manner.
- To maintain a healthy smile all year round, doing the simple things like brushing and flossing is essential. To help strengthen your teeth and protect against cavities, use quality products to brush twice a day for two minutes. Oral-B is the #1 dentist–recommended toothbrush brand worldwide.
- Schedule regular visits to the dentist throughout the year: A regular check-up will help identify potential issues earlier and a professional clean will help remove built up plaque.