Dessert Week: Hot Chocolate Fondant With Honeycomb
Preparation time: 15 mins, plus 6 hours freezing
Cooking time: 15 mins
? 250g unsalted butter
? 250g dark chocolate buttons
? 200g plain flour
? 200g caster sugar
? 5 eggs
? ½ tbsp baking powder
? 400ml whipped cream
? Mint for garnish
? 4 metal rings
1. Melt chocolate and butter over in a saucepan. Call a ban marie a double boiler (saucepan with water in it and also a bowl).
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Pour the melted chocolate into the whisked egg and sugar bowl.
4. Once this is complete, sieve in flour and baking powder and mix together all ingredients.
5. Lightly butter and flour metal rings and place them on baking paper.
6. Spoon in the chocolate mix until you’ve reached halfway up the mould.
7. Place in freezer for at least 6 hours or until solid.
8. When solid, place in a pre-heated 180C oven for 120 minutes. The fondant should not be cooked all the way through. Stick skewer in, if comes out clean – it’s cooked.
9. Garnish with mint and serve with honeycomb (as per recipe below) cream or ice cream.
? 75g honey
? 140g glucose
? 400g sugar
? 5 tbsp water
? 20g bicarbonate soda
1. Spray working area (a stainless steel bench or tray) with Canola Spray.
2. In a saucepan, bring honey, glucose, sugar and water to the boil until golden honey colour. Sieve in the bicarbonate soda and whisk off the heat. Pour on to the bench working very quickly as it will go rock hard.
3. Once cool break into pieces for the dessert dish.
What’s your favourite chocolate dessert?