No More Diets! Mireille Guiliano’s Manifesto for Aussie Women
Mireille Guiliano, author of French Women Don’t Get Fat, has a simple message for Australian women: you can be a healthy weight and still enjoy good food and the things you like.
The international bestselling author is renowned for inspiring women all around the world to lose weight without dieting. Mireille’s philosophy is about a balanced approach to life and wellbeing that doesn’t include extreme diet or exercise regimes.
“We spend so much time worrying about eating bad food that we forget about the enjoyment that comes with eating good food, and sharing it with family and friends. Everything is fine in moderation,” says Mireille.
The French-born writer is in Australia to help bust the common myth that dairy foods are linked to weight gain and/or obesity. “Australians are blessed with some magnificent produce like cheese and yogurt that rivals some of the best in the world. There is no reason why you cannot enjoy this as part of a healthy lifestyle.”
Mireille says the secret to enjoying food and staying healthy is to not over indulge and to eat seasonal and fresh food. In her acclaimed book, Mireille writes about yogurt as a secret to tame hunger, revealing that French women often enjoy two servings a day to help them feel satisfied for longer.
“I believe we don’t need diets to tell us what to eat and drink but you need to listen to your own body to do it. Balance your food and drink with regular exercise on a daily basis.
“Enjoy food and all that comes with it, going to the market or shops, cooking and sharing. You will soon find that there is more to enjoying food and being healthy than counting calories,” Mireille advises.
Mireille’s healthy eating tips for Australian women:
1. Start each day with a real breakfast.
2. Introduce two servings of natural yogurt as a breakfast or snack food or dessert – the protein will keep you fuller for longer.
3. Enjoy milk, cheese or yogurt every day. Many people avoid these foods because they think they’re fattening – this is a mistake. Eating these foods as part of a balanced diet is not linked to weight gain.
4. Stop dieting.
5. Take the stairs and laugh more, it’s good for the waistline and for the soul.
6. Never let yourself get too hungry or over eat.
7. Good food isn’t pretentious. Don’t take yourself too seriously, and don’t let recipes intimidate you – they’re a guide not a formula.
8. Cooking is slimming. Love is slimming. Happiness is slimming.
9. Eat smaller amounts of more things, rather than bigger amounts of less things.
10. Australians love their coffee, so take pleasure in the ritual of your morning latte or cappuccino.
11. Choose and enjoy your weekend rewards, like your favourite dark chocolate rather than worry about eating ‘bad’ food.
12. Explore Australia’s great outdoors with regular physical movement. Choose things you can do in street clothes like a daily walk or a leisurely bike ride.
13. Avoid anything that demands too much effort for too little pleasure.
14. Eat and serve what’s in season. With the Australian summer in sight, enjoy fresh fruits and vegetables aplenty.
15. Don’t save Champagne for special occasions, being in good company is reason enough.
Do you believe everything in moderation is important for a healthy lifestyle?