Celebrity medico Dr Oz recently outlined what and how we should be eating in Time Magazine’s Special Nutrition issue, no more fads, no more myths. Here is his straightforward diet advice – what do you think?
1. It is ok to eat eggs, salt, fat, nuts, chocolate – just don’t overindulge.
2. You can drink whole fat milk, wine and coffee – again, in moderation. He also points out that coffee is the number one source of antioxidants in the Western world.
3. Low-fat and fat-free foods are not necessarily better, as manufacturers add more salt, sugar and thickeners to improve the taste. You tend to consume more sugar and calories in low-fat and fat-free foods than regular foods.
4. High fibre foods keep you full for longer.
5. Choose foods that look like they did when they came out of the ground, ie the less refined the better for your health.
6. Fad diets do not work: the weight lost always comes back when you stop the diet.
7. Low carb diets change your nutritional balance in ways that are not desirable.
8. Losing weight is hard. To maintain a healthy weight, calories consumed must equal calories burned.
9. Foods most associated with weight loss include yoghurt, whole grains, fruits, vegetables and nuts.
10. Foods most associated with weight gain include chips, sugary drinks, sweets, refined grains and meat.
What do you think of Dr Oz’s dietary advice?