Easy Baking Recipes: Marmite Scrolls
Not just a favourite after-school snack for the kids, Marmite scrolls are delicious fresh out of the oven any time. They’re so easy to make and ready in less than 30 minutes. This is a great recipe to get your kids baking, too.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
60 g margarine
200ml soy milk or dairy milk
4 tsp Sanitarium Marmite
3/4 cup grated Edam cheese
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Using your fingertips rub the margarine into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Make a well in the centre of the flour mix and add the milk. Mix together then gently knead with hands to form a dough.
3. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 20 x 30 cm rectangle. Spread the dough with Sanitarium Marmite, then sprinkle with cheese, leaving some for later.
4. Roll the dough from the long side into a roll. Slice the roll into 10 even slices and place each piece cut side up onto a lightly-greased baking tray. Sprinkle with extra cheese on top of each scroll.
5. Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes or until scrolls have risen and cooked through.
Tip: Finely chopped onions, spinach leaves, tomato slices, basil leaves, pistachios, walnuts, sun-dried tomatoes, pesto or pumpkin seeds can all be included in the toppings. Sprinkle over before rolling dough up.
What is your favourite afternoon treat?