Easy Beef Stroganoff
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
1 kg blade steak
1 onion, cut into thin wedges
2 cloves garlic, crushed
200 g Swiss brown or button mushrooms, thickly sliced
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 cups beef stock
½ cup sour cream
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp cornflour
pasta or noodles to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut the steaks across the grain into strips (about 1.5cm wide). Season with salt and pepper. Add a little oil to the beef strips, mix well.
2. Heat a wok or frypan, ensure it is hot. Stir-fry the beef in 3 batches, remove each batch and place it in a casserole dish. Add a little oil to pan, and then add the onion, garlic and mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes or until mushrooms soften. Add the tomato paste and stock, stir until the mixture boils. Pour over the beef in the casserole dish and stir to combine.
3. Cover the casserole dish, place in oven, cook for 30-40 minutes or until beef is tender. In the last 10 minutes of cooking time stir in the combined sour cream, mustard and cornflour. Serve with pasta or noodles and sprinkle with chopped dill leaves.
* Brown the meat in small batches as you do a stir-fry. Ensure the pan is hot when you add the meat, it should sizzle when it goes in.
* Make sure the casserole simmers as it cooks – it must not be allowed to boil or the result will be tough, chewy meat.