When you’re in a rush and want to cook something simple yet tasty for dinner, pull out this risotto recipe that is sure to become a household favourite. Most of the ingredients you’ll probably already have in your panty, so it’s perfect when you’re stuck for ideas.
1 litre salt reduced chicken stock
1 tsp crushed garlic
2 shallots, finely chopped
250g mushrooms, finely sliced (button mushrooms are fine but for more flavour use Portobello)
1 ½ cups Arborio rice
½ cup dry white wine
150g baby spinach
¾ cup finely grated parmesan
- Put stock and one cup of water in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and keep hot.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a fry pan over a medium-high heat then cook shallots and mushrooms until shallots are soft.
- Add rice and garlic then cook for a further 2 minutes whilst stirring.
- Add wine and cook for 30 seconds or until wine has been absorbed.
- Add ½ cup of stock mixture to the rice, hen leave until stock has been absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Repeat step above with the remaining stock mixture until the rice is tender.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in spinach, parmesan cheese and butter.
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with grated parmesan.
For a slightly different flavour try adding some chopped cooked bacon and shredded leftover chicken.
Image via taste.com.au