Eat These Foods For Healthy Skin, Hair And Nails
You are what you eat, so if you want clear skin, shiny hair and strong nails, fill up on these tasty everyday foods and you’ll radiate natural beauty from the inside out – in fact, you can actually eat your way to a better complexion.
Ravinder Lilly, nutritionist at USANA Health Sciences says, “eating certain foods that contain the right vitamins and minerals means you’re literally feeding your skin, hair and nails.”
Ravinder recommends eating the following foods for the ultimate HSN (hair, skin and nails) diet:
* Dark leafy greens: Tuck into these for a dose of vitamin C, which is needed to produce sebum, the hair’s natural conditioner. The iron, beta carotene, folate, and vitamin C in spinach for example helps keep hair follicles healthy and scalp oils circulating.
* Seafood: Omega-3s are important for keeping your hair glossy and hydrated. A lack of these nutrients can lead to moisture loss, and ultimately lacklustre hair.
* Carrots: Think of them as magic blemish wands that can be used (or eaten rather) for clearing up breakouts. You can credit this to vitamin A, which effectively helps to prevent the overproduction of cells in the skin’s outer layer which is where dead cells and sebum combine and clog pores.
* Sweet potatoes: The sweet potato is packed with vitamin C which can help in the production of collagen and beta carotene which can give you a healthy glow.
* Tinned tuna: The secret ingredient – selenium. This nutrient facilitates the preservation of elastin, a protein that keeps your skin smooth and tight. The antioxidant is also thought to buffer against the sun by preventing free radicals created by UV exposure from damaging cells (although there is no substitute for sunscreen protection). Always choose environmentally friendly line-caught tuna.
* Peanut butter: A lack of B vitamins, specifically biotin, can cause dryness of the nails, so spread your next sandwich up with some creamy peanut butter. Peas, oatmeal, Vegemite and beans are also great B providers!
* Eggs and cheese: Both eggs and cheese contain bon-e and nail-building calcium. They are also a rich source of biotin, a B vitamin that some beauticians have dubbed the ‘beauty vitamin’.
What foods do you eat to keep your hair, skin and nails healthy?