French Apricot Tart
You can whip up this easy French dessert after dinner or for Sunday lunch – it tastes just like a French patisserie.
Makes 1 x 24 cm tart – approx. 8 pieces
2 cups flour
¾ cup caster sugar
Pinch of salt
100g butter, cut into cubes
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
2 egg yolks
1½ tbsp water
1 x 370g jar Bonne Maman Apricot Conserve
1. Mix the flour, sugar and salt together in a mixing bowl and rub the butter into the flour. The mixture should resemble breadcrumbs.
2. Mix together the vanilla, egg yolks and water and add to flour mixture. Knead together to a smooth dough. Wrap in plastic film and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
3. Lightly grease a 24 cm flan dish. Preheat the oven to 200°C for a conventional oven or 180°C for a convection oven.
4. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured board to 3 mm thickness, so it is slightly larger than the 24 cm flan dish. Carefully line the flan dish and trim off excess pastry.
5. Spread the apricot conserve over the base of the flan. Decorate the top with pastry off-cuts.
6. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C for conventional oven or 160°C for convection oven. Place in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Allow to cool before serving.
* Bonne Maman Apricot Conserve, RRP$4.99
* Available from leading supermarkets or contact www.menora.com.au