Isn’t Cate Blanchett’s casual bun at the SAG Awards just gorgeous? It’s one of our favourite hair up styles that works for day to night. Here’s how celebrity hairstylist Robert Vetica created the look in just a few easy steps.
1. First prep wet hair with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Boost Lift Foaming Air Mousse, applying throughout the hair for touchable volume and hold.
2. Create a side part and then blow-dry hair with a small boar bristle round brush. Start by blow-drying hair in the front and create soft bangs. Once you have created the desired shape, clip the bangs in place while they cool. Then blow-dry the rest of the hair.
3. Once hair is dry, spray Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Heat Protect & Shine Spray to protect hair from heat before curling it. Using a 1-inch curling iron, take the hair and curl approximately 8 sections. “You don’t need to separate each section perfectly,” says Robert “but instead you can take random sections since you’re curling hair to create texture and bend.” Once the hair has cooled, brush out the curls to soften the look.
4. Spray Vidal Sassoon Pro Series ColorFinity Dry Shampoo in Intense Blondes all throughout the hair. “Some people just apply hairspray to their roots, but I applied the Dry Shampoo all throughout the hair, similar to how you use hairspray, to create additional texture and volume.” After the dry shampoo, back comb hair a bit at the roots with a teasing comb.
5. Pull hair back into a loose low ponytail, using your fingers to create the desired shape. Twist the rest of the ponytail into a deconstructed bun and pin the look in place.
6. To finish, spray hair with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Flexible Hold Hairspray to lock your look in place. Then spray hairspray onto your fingertips and nails, and using your fingers, apply the hairspray to the perimeter of the hair to tame flyaways and shape any loose pieces.
What do you think of Cate Blanchett’s SAG Awards undo hairstyle?