Whoopie pies are the new cupcake, and these Christmas-spiced cakes, held together with creamy filling and topped with icing will be your new favourite holiday treat.
Makes 10-12 Whoopie Pies
1 pack Betty Crocker™ Choc Vanilla Whoopie Pies
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/3 cup (80ml) water
1/3 cup (80ml) vegetable oil
1/4 cup (60ml) milk (for the filling)
1 cup pure icing sugar
1 teaspoon softened butter
1 tablespoon boiling water
Silver cachous for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced oven). Line 2 trays with baking paper.
2. Beat Whoopie Pie Mix, ground spices, water, oil and egg in a medium bowl with electric mixer on LOW speed for 30 seconds to combine. Then beat on MEDIUM speed for 2 minutes.
3. Spoon level tablespoons of batter onto the prepared trays, spacing 5cm apart.
Bake for 8- 10 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched in centre or skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on trays, gently remove and cool on a wire rack.
4. For the filling: Whip Creamy Vanilla Filling Mix and milk in medium bowl on HIGH speed for 2 minutes with an electric mixer until very thick and doubled in volume.
Divide filling evenly between half of the rounds. Top with remaining rounds.
5. For the icing: Combine the ingredients in medium sized bowl. Stir until smooth and glossy.
6. Spread approximately 1 teaspoon of glace icing on top of Whoopie Pies. Sprinkle immediately with a few cachous.
7. Place a layer of decorated whoopies on a round serving plate; place another layer of whoopies in a smaller circle on top, repeat with remaining whoopie pies.
What’s your favourite whoopie pie flavour?