Next time you’re stuck on what to have for lunch, use the leftover vegetables from the pantry and try your hand at these delicious green lentil wraps. Packed with protein to keep you satisfied until dinnertime, this dish is easy to make and perfect if you’re constantly on-the-go!
1 cup uncooked green tentils
1 cup walnut pieces
1.5 tsp dried oregano
1.5 tsp ground cumin
1.5 tsp chilli powdera
1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp water
For the toppings:
1-2 bell peppers, thinly sliced
1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
Cashew sour cream
Diced tomatoes or salsa
Green onion, sliced
Fresh lime juice
Lettuce draps (large romaine, iceberg or butter lettuce leaves are best)
1 avocado, sliced
- Rinse the lentils in a mesh sieve, then empty them into a medium pot with 1-2 cups of water. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes until tender, before draining the excess water.
- Preheat the oven to 150ºC, line a tray with baking paper, then spread walnuts evenly across the entire area. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Season a wok with 1/2 tablespoon of oil, then cook the onion and sliced peppers over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or as desired.
- Add 3/4 cups of the lentils over the toasted walnuts and pop into a food processor until evenly chopped. Stir in the oregano, cumin, chilli powder and salt before adding the olive oil towards the end.
- Tear a lettuce leaf and top off with taco meant, peppers and onion, with your choice of toppings. Wrap tightly then enjoy!
Recipe and image via Oh She Glows