Guilt-Free Wholemeal Bruschetta Recipe
Enjoy this yummy wholemeal bruschetta snack which is filling, and has fewer calories than it’s traditional recipe. Garnish with sprouts, avocado, and a splash of vinegar for a delicious meal at any time of the day.
6-7 ripe tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
6-8 fresh basil leaves
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 wholemeal baguette
1/4 cup olive oil
- Boil 2 quarts of water over a medium heat, then make shallow cuts into your tomatoes before adding them into the water. Cook for 1 minuted, then remove each tomato with a spoon into a bowl.
- Slowly peel off the tomato skins, and remember to cut out the stem as well. Cut into halves and squeeze out most of the juice.
- Preheat your oven to 230ºC (450ºF). Then finely dice the tomatoes and mix in the minced garlic, 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.
- Slice the wholemeal baguette on a diagonal, and place all of the pieces onto a tray. Brush one side with olive oil, and toast for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once they’re ready, leave the bread to cool down on a rack (to keep it from getting soggy). After a few minutes, use a spoon to transfer the mixture onto each slice of bread. Don’t forget to season with freshly ground pepper and your favourite sprouts.
Image and Recipe via Simply Recipes