Half Up Fishtail Braid Tutorial
Want a quick and easy way to take your hairstyle straight from the beach to the bar? Braids are quick and easy-to-learn ways to transform your hair, whether it’s freshly washed or even a little on the oily side. If you do tire of the braid, simply undo your hair and work with the defined curls left behind.
Best for girls with long and un-layered hair, this look is perfect for an evening out since it is very much undone. The more the hairstyle drops, the better it becomes. So don’t worry if it looks a little on the messy side, just spritz with some sea-salt spray and let your hair run it’s natural course.
- This hairstyle looks better on hair which is not freshly washed, since it will highlight the natural texture and form. If your hair has recently been washed, wait for it to dry then spray in some mousse or texturising spray. This will give the hair some body, and will allow it to sit in place a lot better.
- Let your hair part naturally, and then start off by grabbing a small section from the left side – closest to the face. Then pull a thin strand of hair from underneath and cross it over the top half of the other strand. As you fishtail braid the hair, take strands leading from the forehead down to the ear. Work your way down the length of the hair, then fasten with a hair tie.
- To create a messy and undone type of hairstyle, simply rub the braid between your fingers. This will create a more beach-inspired look which is perfect for summer weather.
- Repeat the same step on the other side of your head, before fastening the braid with another hair tie. If you’re finding it difficult to distribute the same amount of hair for each braid – don’t fret. Just work on the technique of fish braiding the hair, then everything will fall into place next time.
- Now backcomb the hair at the crown of the head. This will give the look some much needed definition without the use of hairspray. You can also achieve this voluminous look by blow drying the hair at the crown on a cool setting.
- Grab the ends of each braid and pin them so they are interlocking behind the head. If your hair is extra-long, feel free to create a messy bun from the ends of the braids. Secure the entire look with a few bobby pins, so they won’t fall out.
- For some sexy beach waves, spritz a tiny bit of sea salt on the ends of the hair.
We recommend: Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray, $39
Image via Beautylish