Everyone loves a guilt-free treat, but what about guilt-free treat that’s packed with health benefits? Chef Cynthia Louise’s nutritional spin on carrot cake incorporates turmeric – an anti-inflammatory spice full of antioxidants – plus chia seeds and psyllium husk to deliver exactly what nature requires from you in a cake.
3 large carrots, unpeeled and grated
2 cups shredded coconut
1 tsp ground cinnamon powder
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
2 cups soaked almonds (soaked overnight in 2 cups of water, then rinsed well and drained)
10 dried dates
1/2 cup currants
2 tbsp psyllium husk
2 tbsp chia seeds
1/4 cup maple syrup
30 g turmeric, freshly grated
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups soaked cashews (soaked overnight in 3 cups of water, then rinsed well and drained)
Juice of one lemon
Juice of one lime
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup water
- Combine all the ingredients for the base in a food processor and process until well combined.
- Transfer to a round springform cake tin, pressing down to get an even layer.
- Set aside in the fridge while you make the icing.
- To make the icing combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Once creamy and smooth, pour onto the cake and set.