Try this quick and healthy banana bread scones recipe on a lazy sunday – your family will thank you for it! Using ingredients such as 2 ripe bananas and a touch of cinnamon for that authentic taste, enjoy with a fresh juice or even a rich coffee.
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1.25 cup all-purpose flower
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup unsalted better (cut into pieces)
2 ripe bananas (chopped and mashed)
1 egg lightly beaten
Brown Sugar Glaze (optional)
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 tsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two forks until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in mashed banana and egg. Stir until just combined.
- Turn dough out onto well-floured surface. Dough will be soft and somewhat sticky. Knead 5-6 times until dough comes together.
- Shape into an 8-inch circle. Brush top of dough with water. Stir together sugar and cinnamon for topping and sprinkle over the top. Cut into 8 pieces and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until light golden brown. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugars. Add in vanilla and 2 tsp milk. Add another tsp milk if you want a thinner glaze. Drizzle over cooled scones. Serve.
- Store leftovers in a loosely covered container.
Image and Recipe via A Kitchen Addiction