Healthy Cucumber and Lettuce Vichyssoise
Do something good for your body by creating this delicious cucumber and lettuce vichyssoise, which is a light spring/summer soup. Add a cup of spinach leaves for a deep-green version for an extra hit of flavour, and make sure to enjoy with a healthy summer juice!
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 slices of bread (crusts removed, cut into cubes)
2 leeks (trimmed, washed and sliced)
1 large onion (sliced)
1 large floury potato (peeled and cut into chunks)
1L vegetable stock
2 cucumber (peeled and cubed)
2 butterhead lettuces (washed and shredded)
3 tablespoons double cream
Sea salt and black pepper to season
- Melt the butter over medium-low heat and add the leeks or onion before softening for 10 minutes.
- Include the potato and stock, and bring to a slow boil then simmer for 10 minutes (or until the potato is mostly cooked). Add the cucumbers and shredded lettuce, then simmer and boil for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the potato chunks, then run them through a sieve. Purée everything else in a blender, then add the remaining potatoes into the mixture – it should be of a creamy consistency.
- Stir in the double cream and season with sea salt and black pepper. Leave the mixture to cool completely, then pop it into the fridge to chill.
- For the croutons, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and fry the bread until golden-brown.
- Serve the soup with chopped chives and a touch of cream over the top.
Image and Recipe via Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall from The Telegraph