3 Quick Lunch Recipes That Fight Fat
Find yourself choosing another expensive takeaway option which is full of preservatives? Plan your lunch meals at home by prepping food the night before – this method will keep you organised and less likely to snack on sugary food throughout the day. Below are just three lunch recipes which help to fight-fat, and are quick and easy to prepare.
This popular Spanish dish is best served cold, and made from a primarily tomato-based froth. Enjoy with your favourite seasonal vegetables, and season with red chilli for an extra kick of flavour.
1 red onion
1 cucumber, peeled
1kg roma tomatoes
1 small red chilli
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 red capsicums
2 slices white bread (remove crusts)
150ml tomato juice
50ml red wine vinegar
100ml olive oil
- Chop the onion, and remove the seeds from the cucumber before chopping lengthways.
- Combine the onion, cucumber, tomato, chilli, garlic, capsicum and bread into a large blender. Mix well before adding the tomato juice, vinegar, oil, sugar and salt.
- Serve with croutons and chopped coriander.
For a refreshing summery treat, incorporate watermelon in a classic salad. Add some pieces of avocado since this is a healthy dose of good fat.
Red onion, thinly sliced
Cotija or feta cheese
Sprouts or small salad greens
1/3 cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 jalapeno, sliced
Salt and pepper
- Cut the watermelon into cubes and then add salt, pepper and lime before putting it aside to marinate.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing, then drizzle over the watermelon. Sprinkle some cheese over the top.
Black beans and rice
This filling meal takes only 20 minutes to prepare, and allows you to add some of your favourite vegetables for added flavour and texture.
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup uncooked white rice
1.5 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3.5 cups canned black beans, drained
- Set the stove to medium heat, then add onion and garlic into the olive oil until they are golden brown. Now add the rice and cook for an extra 2-5 minutes.
- Combine the vegetable broth and bring the entire mixture to a boil. Cook for 20 minutes before adding the spices and black beans.
Images and Recipes via SBS, Kung Food, Love and Lemons, All Recipes, Naturally Ella