It’ll cost you less than two cups of coffee.
Spritzing a little bit of perfume on my neck before leaving the house has become part of my everyday routine.
Just like my accessories, a fragrance is part of my outfit, even though you can’t see it. It makes me feel good, and boosts my self-confidence. Smelling like my fave perfume every day can get quite expensive though, with some brands’ fragrances costing close to $200.
Thankfully, there’s a cheap hack for getting more out of your bottle of perfume; DIY perfume powder, which is actually easier to whip up than you might think. In fact, you’ll find everything you need to make yours at the supermarket.
In short, perfume powder is a more subtle way of adding a little whiff of scent to your body. Simply dust a little on your décolletage and neck, or brush over your entire bod for a more intense fragrance.
Perfume in powder form is especially handy on hot days when you’re feeling sweaty, as the powder will soak up some of the moisture and keep you feeling fresher longer than using your regular perfume. So why not give it a go? Making it is so easy, it would be a shame not to try it.
What you need:
1 jar with a lid
2 cups of pure cornstarch
1 cotton ball
Your fave perfume or essential oil
How to make perfume powder:
1. Take your fave fragrance and spray a cotton ball until it’s soaked. This may take anywhere between 20 and 40 sprays, which sounds like a lot, but will hardly make a difference to the amount of perfume in your bottle, so don’t be shy – it’ll be worth it. If you’re using an essential oil, just dunk the cotton ball in the oil.
2. Drop the wet cotton ball into your jar and add one to two cups of cornstarch, depending on the size of your jar. Don’t fill it all the way up; leave about a quarter empty.
3. Close the jar tightly and shake vigorously.
4. Put the jar in a cool, dry place and leave it to sit for three days, shaking it twice a day.
5. Voila! Your perfume power is now ready to go. You can get a pretty container and put your perfume powder in there instead of keeping it in the jar if you like. All that’s left to do is get a powder puff or large fluffy makeup brush and dust yourself in your fave scent.
Images via beautylish.com.
Liked this? Stay up to date with everything SHESAID and score a chance to win tickets for you and four friends to the Caribbean by signing up to our newsletter right here!