Mouthwatering Homemade Sausage Rolls
There’s something special about being able to buy homemade sausage rolls, pies and pasties from a bakery. They do taste better than bulk manufactured ones, plus creative cooks can experiment with flavours to come up with something sensational. That’s exactly what this recipe is; a very, cleaver soul has put together this winning combination of flavours to create mouthwatering homemade sausage rolls.
1 packet of puff pastry
1 packet of sausage mince (aka meatloaf sausage mixture)
1 medium sized onion
1 granny smith apple (specifically granny smith)
- Turn on the oven and set it to 180 degrees.
- Place puff pastry sheets on a bench to defrost and slice in half while frozen.
- Peel onion and apple. Dice finely.
- Place onion and apple into large mixing bowl with sausage mince and egg. Mix thoroughly.
- Now the mixture is ready to position onto the pastry. Make thin rows vertically down the centre of the pastry.
- Take one side of the pastry and fold it over the mixture. Press down to reduce air inside. Repeat with the other side.
- Pinch the ends together to secure mixture inside pastry package.
- Slice shallow lines with a knife horizontally along pastry shaft. This should create breathing holes for cooking.
- Place each sausage roll on greased proof paper on a flat baking tray. Cook for approximately 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
Serving tip: Best served with mash potatoes, veggies and gravy for a meal, or chutney/tomato sauce for a snack. Recipe can also be frozen.
Image via redonline.co.uk