A serve of baked beans is a nutritional powerhouse, packed with good fiber, protein, iron and calcium. They are low GI, which means they slowly release carbohydrates, keeping you energized and full for longer, unlike artificial sugars. These baked beans are a great vegan breakfast treat, and are cheap to make in bulk so you’ll be able to feed the whole family! We recommend you eat with eggs and toast, seasoned with fresh coriander.
Splash of coconut oil (olive or vegetable oil is also fine)
1 small brown onion, peeled and diced
1 cup crushed or sieved tomatoes (from a tin/jar)
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
¼ cup semi-dried tomatoes (or more cherry tomatoes)
14oz can Borlotti beans (or your favourite beans), drained and rinsed
1 tsp dried cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
½ tsp dried cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to season
Bread, toasted (to serve)
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat
- Cook onions first, stirring until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes
- Add beans, herbs and spices and continue to simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and freshly cracked pepper, if desired.
- Serve on toast or fresh crusty bread. Enjoy!
Image and recipe via vegansparkles.com