How To Wear Autumn/Winter Hosiery
How To Wear Autumn/Winter Hosiery
There’s no easier way to vamp up your autumn/winter look than with hosiery – and I’m not talking that pair you just picked up at the supermarket!
Alicky Brown, head buyer at one of our favourite online lingerie and swimwear stores Trixan Body gives us the lowdown on some of the fabulous range of hosiery available this autumn/winter – and shares her top tips on how to update your look with eye-catching tights:
“As winter gets underway, a collective sigh of relief can be heard from women everywhere; the end of the time-consuming ritual of routinely shaving, waxing, exfoliating and tanning to produce the perfect legs!
Voodoo, one of the big names in hosiery, has created an innovative winter range of stylish hosiery that includes opaque tights, knee highs and stay ups as well as fun elements like Skinny Pants leggings in black or denim and the ultra-now, low-rise Wet Look Legging with a drawstring feature that allows you to adjust the length.. Voodoo have even created toeless hosiery so you can flash off your pedicure in style while keeping your legs demurely covered!
Kayser and Levante both have stylish tights ranging from sheer and opaque corporate wear to cute ankle socks (as spied on Alexa Chung, Agyness Deyn and Chloe Sevigny), leggings and the invention we all need in the winter months – cosy boot socks. And shapewear is also crossing over into hosiery and one of the favourites, Bella Bodies, includes functional yet fashionable control pieces to flatter abs, upper body and upper thigh areas, including their cheeky anti-cellulite, shape-defining capris.
Alicky’s Tips for Top Legs:
1. If you’re wearing bright coloured shoes, opt for a neutral tight – unless you can pull off the clashing colour trend!
2. Toughen up a little black dress or evening outfit with leggings and ankle boots.
3. Heading to the autumn races? Try Voodoo toeless sheer tights; you’ll still keep warm but you won’t have that unsightly line across your feet.
4. Look after your tights! Only handwash, and repair tiny holes with a spot of clear nail polish.
5. Play with texture – black opaques can be worn underneath fishnet styles for an interesting textured style. Mix and match your tights together for an artsy look.
6. If your outfit is bulky and layers (thick jumpers, woollen tunics etc) steer clear of knitted or thick tights, as you’ll look even bigger. Slim your legs down with slinky opaques.
7. Colour blocking is HUGE this season! Find your brightest dress/top in one colour (canary yellow, lime green, cobalt blue all work well) and add your brightest pair of tights in a different colour – think hot pink, bright purple, postbox red. Voila, you’re rocking a trend that was seen on every runway this season!
8. You can also work the preppy look with plaid tights and a smart tweed jacket.
9. Pay attention to your body shape! Bright colored tights are best worn by girls with long slim legs; just keep in mind, the thicker the legs, the darker the tights.
10. If you want to create the illusion of longer and slimmer legs, try purple/plum shades. You can match them with neutral shades, lighter browns, or even nude, camel coloured wools for winter.
Pick up a pair of tights from Voodoo and Platinum to Leona Edmiston, Jonathan Aston and Levante – with FREE delivery at Trixan Body!
Do you like wearing tights in winter?