In-Flight Beauty Secrets
You might have a fabulous holiday to look forward to, but there’s nothing worse than getting off the plane looking like something the cat dragged in. These in-flight beauty secrets are the one thing you can’t travel without.
1. Before you fly, buy a good eye mask and ear plugs at the chemist. Most airlines don’t provide these anymore and they’ll help you get some sleep.
2. Always keep lipbalm in the seat pocket and reapply at least every hour.
3. Moist towelettes are essential for taking off your makeup, refreshing your face and neck and cleaning hands after meals. I love Bloom’s tiny Off, Off and Away Cleansing Wipes, $9.95.
4. You know you need to keep your skin hydrated during the flight but that doesn’t mean lugging all your skincare on the plane – a rich eyecream is great for long-haul flights. Antipodes Kiwi Seed Eye Cream, $52, comes in a teeny tiny pot that even the most over-stuffed handbags can carry, and is super nourishing, with avocado oil, aloe vera and antioxidant-rich kiwi seed.
5. If you’re anything like me you forget to use hand cream at home, but I always pack it in when I travel. Stuff it in the seat pocket (along with your lipbalm) and massage in every hour. Clarins Hand and Nail Treatment Cream, $39, is the one hand cream the SheSaid team all love.
6. Pack a comb or small foldaway brush, not just to keep your hair neat but it makes for a nice scalp massage throughout the flight.
7. You don’t want to do a full makeup when you get off the plane, but you still want to look your best, so pack a multipurpose product in your purse. Kit Duo Cheek and Lip Crème in Turn It On, $34.95, is a small palette of two nourishing pink-hued creams. Use one on lips, the other on cheeks for a natural flush, or swirl the two together for gorgeous glow.
8. Remember all those perfume samples you inevitably end up with at gift-with-purchase time? These are perfect for flights to spritz the plane smell away.
9. Mariella, a flight attendant I spoke with who does the Sydney to LA route twice a week yet who has the amazing skin, told me the first thing she does when she gets to her hotel is take off all her makeup and enjoy a 10-minute face mask to renourish the skin.
10. And of course avoid alcohol and drink plenty of water (if you run out, always ask the crew for more).
What is your best in-flight beauty secret?