When it comes to making homemade pizza it’s all about the base. One of my closest friends gave me this pizza base recipe, and it’s seriously so good that you will never call a home delivered pizza ever again. And the smell… OMG! The smell that will fill your home as it’s cooking will bring even the fussiest eaters to the table. It’s absolutely mouthwatering and has been described as the best pizza my kids have ever eaten. Sorry Domino’s!
Once you’ve got this base down pat, you can then experiment with savory or sweet flavors. This will turn your pizza into something unique and sensational every time. It’s all about getting creative, mixing flavors, or using whatever you have on hand. It’s cheap, versatile and everyone will love it!
1 1/2 cups of plain flour
150 ml of warm tempered water
1 sachet of dry yeast (Tandaco yeast is recommended)
Pinch of salt
Pinch of sugar
Topping ingredients of your choice
- Turn on the oven and heat it to 220-240 degrees. You will need to let the yeast rise for a while in the bowl and the warmth generated on the stove top is a perfect place to enable this to happen prior to cooking.
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Inside the well, place the yeast, salt, and sugar and let it sit for about one minute.
- Pour the water in slowly and fold it in with a wooden spoon.
- When the ingredients are roughly mixed together, use your hands to mix it into a pliable consistency.
- Shape it into a ball and leave it in the bowl.
- Cover with a tea-towel and leave it in a warm position (for example on top of the stove) for about an hour. The warmth will activate the yeast and this will allow the mixture to rise.
- After an hour or so, flour a bread board or flat surface. The mixture may need either more water or flour depending on the environment. You need to try to achieve a pliable consistency as you gradually kneed the dough. Don’t over do it however, because this can effect the end result.
- Kneed it into a ball shape and roll it out with a floured rolling pin. If you don’t have one you can place it into a large flour coated pizza tray or a square tray equivalent and spread it out with your palm. Make sure you don’t thin it out too much because it’s best as thick based pizza dough.
- Your home-made pizza base is now ready to be topped with your choice of topping and put into the oven for about 30-45 minutes.
That’s it – the best pizza base recipe known to humankind! Once you get the hang of it the dough will be pretty much perfect every time.
Image via dishmaps.com