ISIS Suicide Bombing Leaves 48 Dead In Syria
This is just the latest in a string of recent terrorist attacks.
Forty-eight people were killed in a suicide bombing in northern Syria today. The victims include women and children, and 140 people were also seriously injured, said the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack, which occurred in the city of Qamishli, near the border of Turkey. A truck rigged with explosives was driven into a Kurdish administrative complex where several government agencies operated.
The bombing was in “response to the crimes committed by the coalition warplanes against the vulnerable people of men, women, and children in Manbij City,” said ISIS. Since June, US-led airstrikes in and around Manbij have killed over 100 people and wounded many more.
Just the day before, France was rocked by yet another terrorist attack, in which two people acting in the name of ISIS killed an 86-year-old priest. The Reverend Jacques Hamel was taken hostage by two men, one of whom had been identified by the French government as a radical Islamist. He had been confined to house arrest after trying to fly to Syria to join ISIS fighters. The priest’s throat was slit and he was stabbed in the chest. A churchgoer was also seriously wounded.
Earlier this month, more than 200 people were killed and 175 wounded in the deadliest attack Baghdad has seen in years. The ISIS attack came near the end of Ramadan, as people were preparing to celebrate Eid-al-Fitr, which marks the end of a holy month of prayer and fasting for Muslims. The suicide bombing was carried out in a busy shopping district and killed children buying new clothes and teenagers celebrating a birthday.
On Wednesday, Pope Francis told reporters “the world is at war.” Although his comments came in the wake of the priest’s murder, he said the war is not a religious one. “All religions preach peace — it’s the others who want war.”