Italian Hazelnut Biscotti Recipe
A classic Italian biscotti makes for the perfect breakfast snack, or even a light appetiser for those long summer nights. Feel free to include a teaspoon of chocolate if you’re feeling adventurous, or stick to the classic hazelnut recipe which is just as good!
Biscotti is the perfect treat for those who have an enormous sweet-tooth, and is the perfect treat when paired with a morning tea or coffee.
3/4 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
2.5 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (170-180ºC), and line a tray with baking paper. Grease lightly if you want to place the biscotti directly over the tray.
- Combine the butter and sugar into a bowl until light and fluffy in texture. Whisk through the eggs one-by-one, then add the vanilla extract.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt into the egg mixture. Beat well, then include the chopped hazelnuts.
- Create two equal logs with the dough, and apply directly over the lined tray. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and the centre is firm. Keep an eye on the time, since it’s really easy to overcook these delicious treats!
- Remove the biscotti, then slice diagonally before spreading them out onto the tray. Cook again for 10 minutes, then leave to cool. Store in an air-tight container in the pantry or fridge to save them for another day.
Image and Recipe via Yummly, Heather Homemade