Ever wanted to give your hair a quick trim without burning a hole into your pocket? There are many ways to easily cut your hair at home if you’re looking to save some extra cash. All you need is a pair of professional scissors, a thin comb and damp hair!
What you’ll need:
– 1 hair elastic
– professional hair cutting scissors
– thin comb
– handheld mirror
1. Part your hair right down the middle of your head, then fasten it at the back with a hair elastic. If you hair isn’t already wet, spray some water on the ends and then comb through gently.
2. Tie your hair into a low ponytail at the nape of the neck. Check that it is in the correct position with the handheld mirror. This will allow you to see what’s happening in the back.
Pull the elastic down the length of your hair, making sure that it remains in the centre. Leave around 6-10cm of hair at the end, or depending on how much you choose to chop off.
3. Secure the elastic into your hand, and bring it to front. Making sure that the elastic hasn’t shifted, you may need to repeat this step a few times before you’re happy with the position.
4. Cut small parts off at a time. This will make it easier to check if you’re happy with the length, and also to fix up any mistakes along the way. Hold hair firmly between your fingers, then cut.
To avoid blunt ends, hold the scissors vertically and make tiny cuts into the length of the hair.
- It is important to keep hair damp, and comb it through so there are no tangles or knots. This will allow the hair to be of even length, and will make it easier to cut. If you do have curly hair, make sure to get it as straight as possible to ensure an even result.
- Choose scissors which aren’t blunt, and are supposed to be used for hair. Generic scissors for cutting paper, cardboard, etc won’t do since they won’t produce an even cut.
Images via Instructables